background

Monday, October 26, 2015

Sharing instead of sheltering

This is an article written by a high school friend about his friend's older brother with Autism. It is beautiful.

http://oneshetwoshe.com/2015/10/change-of-heart.html

This is my response I sent to the author (my friend)...

Thank you Dan. You brought me to tears. It touched me particularly because of my daughter, Ellie, who has disabilities. I often feel so out of place and that people just don't understand what I am going through. So I tend to distance myself from people because I can't bear to be hurt by their unintentional words and actions.  

Your writing helped me remember that by sharing instead of sheltering Ellie she (and I) can be an influence for good.

I am grateful to good men and women like you who are able to work through their awkwardness and see and purposefully interact with people with disabilities. This is how I always view the Savior. He would leave the 90 and 9 to search out the 1 with disabilities. I see this theme throughout the scriptures. He will be talking with a group of people and stop everything to go talk to or help a person with disabilities. This is a rare quality. The people that have forever found a place in my heart are those who will stop what they are doing mid-sentence and come to say hello to my non-verbal daughter. They get nothing out of it, but I do and Ellie does. They are true disciples of Christ.

Do you ever feel like you are sheltering your child instead of sharing them? Have you ever had someone step out of their way to come say hello to your child?

No comments:

Post a Comment