background

Monday, December 14, 2015

How to organize meds (medications) when you have A LOT of them

My daughter, Ellie,  takes A LOT of meds.  She uses a g-tube for all meds.

*I prefer pills over liquids, there are several reasons.  #1)  they are cheaper per mg  #2) they are easier to find at pharmacies or over-the counter #3) If you need to grab a dose and bring it with you you can just grab a pill instead of having to bring the whole bottle of liquid med or drawing up the liquid med and risking it spilling #4)  They don't have the sugar in them that liquids do #5) They don't have to be refrigerated #6) you can use syringes forever because you don't care if the numbers wear off the side

* I don't care if the numbers wear off the side for most of my syringes because I have chosen to crush my pills.  But if you want your numbers to stay on longer, when you get new syringes, paint over the numbers with clear nail polish and allow to dry.

* Some people do not crush their pills.  They draw water into a syringe, drop the pill into the water and let it sit and dissolve for about 12 hours (or more).  Check with your pharmacist to make sure this will work with your meds, especially if they are time-released.  I have never tried this method.

*Some people draw up a whole months worth of meds into syringes and label the syringes.  I have never done this method.

Here is the method I have developed over 13 years...



#1) Label the top of each bottle with a round sticker like these.  http://www.amazon.com/Round-Circle-Labels-Inkjet-Printers/dp/B00WMRH33Q/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1450110605&sr=8-1&keywords=3%2F4+inch+circle+labels  The 3/4 inch ones fit on top of a medicine bottle perfectly.  I would recommend NOT getting the removable ones, they fall off.  I write three things on each sticker.  The name of the med, the time it is given, how much to give (ie: 1/2 pill or if liquid 1 mL).







#2) Have a basket that all daily meds get thrown in to, I will call this the "Daily Med" basket.  I used to try and line them up neatly in the basket, but it was a waste of time.  If you follow my steps, it won't matter that they are a jumble.  I set the liquid meds to the side of the basket because I don't want them to spill.


#3) Only keep 1 bottle of the med in this "Daily Med" basket.  Have a different bin/box for what I call the "2nd tier" of meds.  For example, you have 4 pills left in your bottle.  That goes into the "Daily Med" basket.  But you have already picked up your next bottle of the same med that you will start after you have given the 4 remaining pills.  This new bottle will go into the box of "2nd Tier" meds.


#4) You will have a separate container of meds given occasionally.  For example Ellie sometimes gets Ibuprofen, Acetaminophen, Miralax, etc...but they are not everyday.  (I also have a 2nd tier box for nebulizer meds.)





#5)  When it is time to give meds, pull out all of the medications.  Look at the stickers on the lids and throw back any that are not given at this time.  For example, if it is morning I throw back any that are only labeled PM.  If they are labeled AM or is they are labeled AM/PM then I keep them out.

#6)  Have a paper typed up that lists each med and the amount given.  I don't really care about the actual dosage (ie:  8.8 mg per tablet) at this point, I just need to know how much to give her.  If dosages change I just hand-write them onto my typed up sheet, then other people giving the meds will take notice of the changes (because of the handwriting).  After awhile I will retype it.  It might look something like this...

7 AM
Senna 1 pill
Calcium 1 pill
Multi-vitamin 1 pill
blah blah 10 mL

2:30 PM
Blah blah 2 pills

7 PM
blah blah 1 pill
blah blah 1/2 pill
blah blah 10 mL

#7)  Go down the paper and line up each med as you read through the list.  This verifies that you don't miss any, or give doubles.  If they have a temporary med like an antibiotic, put a sticky note on this paper, then toss the sticky note when done with course.  Speaking of antibiotics (or temporary meds) write with permanent marker the end date you will be giving the med on the actual bottle and on the sticky note.

#8) Start drawing up meds into syringes.  As you toss a pill into the pill crusher, throw the medicine bottle back into the "Daily med" basket.  This way, if you get distracted, you know which pills you have already done.

#9) Have some little drawers that hold your syringes and feeding tube extensions


#10) Have a bin to toss dirty syringes and feeding tube extensions into, then you only have to wash them once in a while and you can get it all done at once


#9) Have a set day that you order meds each week.  Mine is Monday because if there are problems, I want a few days to figure it out before the weekend.  Go down your typed up list check each bottle in your "daily med" basket.  See if there is at least 8 or 9 days (because you will not be ordering for 7 more days and if you ordered it next Monday it may take 2 days or so to get a refill).  If not, check your 2nd tier meds to see if you have another bottle.  If you do not have 8-9 days of that med, jot it down and set that bottle aside.  Once you have been through all of the meds and know what you need to order, go ahead and order.  Usually there is an automated system you can call or text or do it online to reorder meds.  If they give you any type of info about your reorder such as "This med will be ready today after 10 AM" or "We need to contact your Dr. for additional refills" jot that down on your paper.

You can usually get a refill at 24 -28 days after your last refill (depending on your insurance).  I fill my meds as soon as they will let me, this lets me get a little tiny stock-pile of meds in case of emergency.

If your insurance will let you do a 90 day supply, this is often cheaper and you only have to reorder every 3 months.  Sometimes when getting a 90 day supply, your insurance will make you do it by mail-order instead of a local pharmacy.  If you want to try a 90 day supply, just ask your Dr. to write the prescription that way whenever you get a new prescription.

Here is a link to the pill crusher I love.  It is pointy at the bottom which helps crush the pills more easily.  I have about 5 of them, Several at home, one in her wheelchair bag, one at school, etc...
http://www.amazon.com/APEX-PILL-PULVERIZER-Size-1/dp/B000J14PR4/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1450109591&sr=8-2&keywords=apex+pill+crusher  The other option is to get a mortar and pestle, I know several people who prefer this option.



Here is a link to a video I made.  It is not the best, I was trying to film it myself.  I would like to say I will redo it, but we all know how busy life is with a kiddo with complex medical needs.  So let's just say, that is not going to happen!

How do you organize your meds?  What tips and tricks can you share?

No comments:

Post a Comment