background

Thursday, January 7, 2016

Insurance to cover medical equipment

Make sure you add all medical equipment you own (if it is a rental, then it is unnecessary as far as I know) to your homeowners insurance policy.

Some examples would be
1.  Wheelchair/Walker
2.  C-pap/bi-pap
3.  Suction
4.  Vibrating vest
5.  Pulse Ox
6.  Feeding pump
7.  Bath chair
8.  Special Carseat
9.  Special AAC equipment (switches, ipads, Tobii, Eagle Eyes, Dynavox, etc...)
10.  Hearing Aids
11.  Stander
12.  Etc...

Also make sure if you have tiedowns and/or lift/ramp in a vehicle that you add that to your car insurance so if it is damaged/stolen you will be able to get the extra money to replace them.
Reasons you would want to do this...

1.  It is not very expensive (if any additional money at all)
2.  If your $20,000.00 power chair gets damaged while flying, and the airlines refuse to pay
3.  Your house burns down and all equipment is destroyed
4.  Theft
5.  There is usually a dollar amount that homeowners insurance will cover your belongings (for example in a fire), since medical equipment is sooooo expensive, you want to make sure they will be giving you enough money
6.  In case of a car accident and your lift/ramp/tiedowns get damaged
7.  You would only need to pay your homeowners insurance deductible (hopefully low $500-$1000) to get a replacement

I don't know if renters insurance would cover these items also, but it would be worth asking.

Of course don't take my word for it, but call your insurance agent and ask some questions.

First I would call my health insurance and find out which pieces of equipment are owned and which are rented.  Then call your homeowners and car insurance and ask some questions.  Here are some questions I would ask...

1.  Can I add medical equipment that I own onto my homeowners insurance policy, so they would be replaced in case of fire?  Stolen?  Flood?  Damage by airlines?
2.  Will the items still be covered if I am away from home?  (at school, on vacation)
3.  Can I add the tie downs and lift/ramp onto my car insurance?  Will it cover full (new) replacement and installation?
4.  What would my deductible be for replacing these items
5.  Would you pay for loaners (equipment and vehicle with lift/tiedowns) until I can get the replacements?
6. How much will this additional coverage cost me on my premiums?

Call your health insurance and your homecare DME company to see if they will send replacements for any rental items you have in case of loss (stolen)/damage/fire.

Some examples of rentals might be
1.  Feeding pump
2.  Oxygen tanks
3.  Oxygen Concentrator
4.  etc...

Do you have any experience with this?  Have you added this type of coverage for yourself?  Are you thinking of adding it now?  What other insights or comments do you have?  Please comment below!

No comments:

Post a Comment