background

Wednesday, August 24, 2016

Teeth Grinding

I am excited. I just found these bite blocks that they use at my local Children's Hospital. You put the green part between their back molars and the white part sticks out of their mouth. I sterilize mine in bottle sterilizer but I'm sure you could use a dishwasher.

Ellie grinds her teeth when she has an ear infection. Some kids grind for sensory stimulation.

I acquired my bite block from an inpatient hospital stay. But I have only had that one and didn't think I could get more. So I was excited to find these.

They are really strong, Ellie has been unable to damage hers with her teeth grinding. As a warning, if she continues to bite, sometimes it does make her gums bleed and then I just move it to the other side of her mouth. It is never terrible damage to her gums and mouth...just a little bleeding.

I have also tried a football mouthguard. Which works OK, but she can get it out of mouth more easily and it melted when I put it in the bottle sterilizer/dishwasher. Plus I paid $20 for a nice one. If you are going to go that route I would suggest trying the mouthguard half in their mouth between the molars and half out of their mouth. you can hold it in place more easily without getting bitten.

The first place I found was Edgepark Surgical 1-800-321-0591. They needed a Dr. prescription to sell them to me and they were willing to bill insurance. I said I would just pay cash because they were only $4.98 including shipping. But they still needed a Dr. prescription which is OK, her Dr. doesn't have a problem with it.

Then I also found them on Amazon which didn't require a Dr. prescription at all. When I posted this they were $5.71, so just a little more than Edgepark.


I have also been using this mouthguard holder so I could carry the biteblock around in her bag more easily. It was around $8


How do you deal with your child's teeth grinding? Please share below.

Please like our FB page to see future topics pop up in your newsfeed. https://www.facebook.com/SupportedInOurTrials/

No comments:

Post a Comment